Do you want to keep your portable generator safe and silent? Do you want to build a soundproof generator box? Check out this guide plus instructional videos…
There are many reasons for building a portable generator box.
First of all, it’s a lot better than using your garage or basement to store the generator. You will not be able to sleep with the noise going on, you will constantly feel the vibrations, and you can also get carbon monoxide poisoning from it.
So it’s best to soundproof the generator to prevent problems.
The following are some of the best storage boxes you can easily and quickly turn into soundproof generator boxes;
- Rubbermaid – FG374801OLVSS Small Horizontal Resin Weather Resistant Outdoor Garden Storage Shed
- Keter Store-It-Out Woodland 4.25 x 2.4 Foot Resin Outdoor Storage Shed
- Rubbermaid Slide-Lid Resin Weather Resistant Outdoor Garden Storage Shed
- Leisure Season MSS6602 Medium Storage Shed
- Rubbermaid Portable Outdoor Split Lid Resin Shed
- 1 The reasons for an enclosure for your generator.
- 2 Readymade Soundproof Generator Boxes
- 3 How to Build a Soundproof Generator Box (materials)
- 4 Finished Soundproof Generator Box (Steps)
- 5 Alternative Steps to make a soundproof generator box by Icreatables
- 5.1 Step 1: Foundation and Floor Framing
- 5.2 Step 2: Portable Generator Box Wall Framing
- 5.3 Step 3: Generator Shed Roof Framing
- 5.4 Step 4: Generator Enclosure Siding Installation
- 5.5 Step 5: Portable Soundproof Generator Box Trim Installation
- 5.6 Step 6: Shed Single Door Construction
- 5.7 Step 7: Shed Double Door Construction
- 5.8 Step 8: Hanging Shed Doors
- 5.9 Step 9: Installing Shed Door Hardware
- 5.10 Step 10: Installing Hinged Roof
- 5.11 step 11: Installing the Sheet Metal Roof
The reasons for an enclosure for your generator.
- Noise Reduction: Most portable generators are noisy and a sound-dampening enclosure can go a long way to reducing the noise. This is great if you want to stay on good terms with your friends, neighbors, family, or anybody within earshot of the generator.
- To keep the generator safe from theft: Unfortunately, generator theft isn’t as uncommon as people may think. An enclosure won’t make it impossible for thieves to steal your generator, however, a generator enclosure with a padlock can help deter would-be thieves away from an easier target.
- Weather: A generator enclosure can help protect the generator from harsh weather conditions. It acts as a generator shelter.
- Storing your generator in this enclosure frees up storage space in your garage, shed, or basement for other uses
- Makes it easier to start up and connect your generator during a power outage because it is always ready to go — no dragging generator outside during the outage or bad weather to use it.
Readymade Soundproof Generator Boxes
The following are some of the best storage sheds you can use as generator boxes. Some of the sheds might need a little modification to make them perfect portable generator sound boxes (watch how-to videos below).
Suncast BMS3400 34 cu. ft. Horizontal Shed
Do you want a perfect generator quiet box that will help keep your generator safe and silent? Buy the Suncast BMS3400 and you won’t go wrong.
The shed features a double-wall resin construction. The double wall construction is perfect for keeping your generator silent (the generator sound wont penetrate the walls) and the resin is for making the shed durable and weather resistant.
The shed boasts a reinforced floor, which can support even the heaviest portable generator enclosure.
To keep your generator safe all the time, the portable generator shelter’s doors have a padlock hasp.
The shed is pretty easy to assemble. It can take a person with zero assembly experience 30 to 45 minutes to assemble the shed.
The shed’s manual has easy to follow directions.
…but I’m a 37 year old pregnant woman and managed just fine by myself
To ensure that your generator is safe from moisture and water, the shed is made from waterproof material.
Perfect size. The shed is neither too small nor too big. The shed is just perfect for storing your portable generator.
The following is a review from a customer:
…bought to house my generator has lots of room was a good fit for me now I’m working on an exhaust system from a four-inch heat/ drier vent pipe with a booster blower in the pipe. one end the left side for me will be the intake air a common window fan that runs when the generator is powered on. a 12×12 gable louvered vent I will cut into the shed for intake air. the same vent on the other side but I’ll have a box around the muffler worked into a 4inch dryer vent 90 a 4-inch booster fan and another 90 into another 12x 12 gable louvered vent. wish me luck this way I can run my generator in the bad weather we have here in Mich. winter or summer. a work still in process. has plenty of room for 3 and 4 prongs, extension cord storage…
Rubbermaid Horizontal Storage Shed, 32-cubic ft
The Rubbermaid horizontal storage shed is one of the best sheds you can use as a portable generator sound enclosure.
The Rubbermaid generator enclosure has rollers, which allow the lid to easily slide back for vertical access to the generator.
The shed has a double-walled construction, which makes it one of the best enclosures for the generator. This construction makes the shed strong and sound resistant thus keeping your generator safe and silent.
The rubbermaid generator enclosure’s impact-resistant flooring ensures that your generator is safe from shock.
Unlike wood and metal sheds, this particular shed is maintenance-free and will not rot, dent, or rust. This ensures a long life cycle for the shed.
The shed is also weather-resistant. This means that your generator is safe from moisture, sun damage and inclement weather.
This shed is large enough and spacious enough for your generator no matter how large it is.
The shed is quick to assemble. You can easily assemble the 7 pieces with common household tools.
You Might Also Like: Best Generator for the Money Review
How to Build a Soundproof Generator Box (materials)
Building a soundproof generator box can be easy if you know what you are doing.
The following materials (or similar alternatives) / portable generator enclosure kit can be used to build the generator enclosure.
You can get most of the items from Amazon or Home Depot, I’ve put links directly to the items needed below.
For the soundproof generator box
For the Ventilation
For the Exhaust System
- Wall Vent Hood with Spring Damper
- Semi-Rigid Duct
- Foil Backed Fiberglass Pipe Wrap Insulation
- Round Duct Cap
- McMaster Carr magnet – Search for 5685K33 on the website
For the High Temp Cut-Off
The semi-rigid duct linked to above isn’t very well reviewed. If anybody finds a better alternative, please leave a comment to let others know.
Just for your information, these videos are not my own and I do not take credit for them! I just really liked the design of the generator sound proof box and thought that it’d be better to put everything together in one post along with links directly to the materials. You can find out more info regarding this design, or ask questions on the original author’s YouTube channel here.
Finished Soundproof Generator Box (Steps)
High-Temp Shut Off Mechanism
If you found the videos useful, or if they’ve given you a few good ideas on how to build your own portable generator enclosure. Please give the original author your thanks.
Alternative Steps to make a soundproof generator box by Icreatables
Below are the videos detailing how to build the 5′-2″ x 3′-8″ generator shed. Each video describes one of the major steps in building the portable generator shed.
Step 1: Foundation and Floor Framing
Step 2: Portable Generator Box Wall Framing
Step 3: Generator Shed Roof Framing
Step 4: Generator Enclosure Siding Installation
Step 5: Portable Soundproof Generator Box Trim Installation
Step 6: Shed Single Door Construction
Step 7: Shed Double Door Construction
Step 8: Hanging Shed Doors
Step 9: Installing Shed Door Hardware
Step 10: Installing Hinged Roof
step 11: Installing the Sheet Metal Roof
I hope the above guide on how to build a soundproof box for a generator is comprehensive enough…
Last Updated on May 17, 2021 by admin