Choosing the best water pump for home use is not an easy task. In this post, I will hold you by the hand and help you get the best domestic water pump…
Water pumps for home use are indispensable for the efficient use and distribution of water.
They serve to move water, especially to an elevated container that they could not otherwise reach due to a lack of pressure.
Having better information about the different characteristics of water pumps you can use at home is very important as it helps reduce operating costs and ensure overall efficiency.
Another advantage of having a quality water pump is that when it is in operation, it does not produce noise that could cause nuisance at home.
There are many water pump brands in the market. However, in this article, we show you the characteristics of the home water pumps that are an intelligent solution for your home.
- 1 What is a water pump?
- 2 Common uses of a water pump
- 3 What are the water pumps offered by the market?
- 4 New tendencies
- 5 What essential components do we find in a water pump?
- 6 What water pump do I need depending on the source of the water?
- 7 The Price: The last factor to consider when buying a domestic water pump
- 8 The best water pumps for home use
- 8.1 Superior Pump 91250 Utility Pump, 1/4 HP, Black
- 8.2 Homdox 1.6HP Stainless Shallow Well Pump Booster Pump Lawn Sprinkling Pump
- 8.3 Happybuy Shallow Well Jet Pump with Pressure Switch 3/4HP Jet Water Pump
- 8.4 Superior Pump 92341 1/3 HP Cast Iron Submersible Sump Pump
- 8.5 SEAFLO 33-Series Industrial Water Pressure Pump w/Power Plug for Wall Outlet
- 8.6 WAYNE WWB WaterBUG Submersible Pump with Multi-Flo Technology
What is a water pump?
Home water pumps are mainly composed of a water inlet and outlet, vanes that serve to suck and drive the water, and a motor that turns them.
These work with electric energy, fossil fuels, or even solar energy.
Practical and safe — home water pumps are specially designed to be surrounded by water. Therefore they are often equipped with a hermetically sealed submersible motor.
The motor and the pump are connected with a coupling, from the pump shaft to the motor shaft. Motor power is fed through one or more flexible cables.
Home water pumps are a perfect complement to home hydraulic installations. They are a very practical solution, especially when it is difficult to get adequate pressure so that water reaches all corners where it is needed from a water tank.
Common uses of a water pump
Today the use of water pumps extends to a wide variety of commercial, industrial, residential and agricultural applications, covering various situations such as the following:
- Draining water from a basement.
- Extracting water from a well.
- Moving water from one place to another, even at different soil levels.
- Increasing the pressure or water flow.
- Emptying and filling swimming pools, ponds, or hot tubs.
- Draining shallow areas that are flooded.
- Watering grass or agricultural areas in a traditional way or by sprinkling.
- Distributing fertilizers and pesticides.
- Performing various tasks in the area of construction.
What are the water pumps offered by the market?
In a future article, we will focus on how we should proceed to choose the water pump that best meets your needs and what characteristics we have to consider.
The following are some pump types you can get in the market.
They are generally the most powerful pumps, equipped with 4-stroke engines, but they are not submersible.
Its fundamental application is in places where there is no access to electrical connections and we want a quick job with an extensive autonomy of use.
They can extract clean or residual water from ponds, streams, fountains, barrels, and tanks of rainwater.
Their recommended uses are for traditional irrigation or sprinkling of green areas, orchards, and gardens.
They are also used as pumps to provide a uniform flow at all times, or in heavy work.
Electric pumps for clean (non-potable) water
Also called domestic pumps, they are mainly used for traditional irrigation or sprinkling of green areas, orchards and gardens, extraction of water from ponds, streams, springs or barrels/tanks of rainwater.
Are also used to service water supply and pumping of clean freshwater, rainwater or water with slight foam content.
Combined electric pumps for clean (non-potable) / wastewater
They are especially suitable for emptying of tanks, work ditches or flooded basements, and can be used for clean and dirty water containing dirt particles up to a size between 20 and 30 mm in diameter.
Electric pumps for wastewater
They are similar to the combined pumps, except that they are specially designed for dirty water with a particle size of, according to the manufacturer, up to about 40 mm in diameter.
They are special for watering gardens, deliver a large flow of water, and are powerful.
They can also be used for sprinkler irrigation and even for the extraction of water from ponds, streams, and springs or barrels/tanks of rainwater.
They are electric pumps and their main application is to extract water from wells, reservoirs, fountains, or cisterns at depths that, depending on the model and manufacturer, can reach more than 30 meters.
They are designed with special housing that protects them from oxidation and corrosion, and they do not depend on the air pressure to drive the liquid, since being submerged they can transport it over greater distances.
Pumps for deep wells
They are also electric pumps of the submersible type, with the difference that they have greater power and therefore they are especially suitable for wells up to more than 60 meters deep.
Pressure pumps (drinking water)
These are the typical electric pumps used in buildings to drive the water from the network, from a cistern at street level to the tank(s) on the terrace.
They can also extract water from a well for the provision of purified water or for irrigation.
The advantage of pressure (or jet) pumps is that they are compact and, depending on their power, can propel water to a height of 30 meters.
They are also ideal for small spaces, such as cabins, mobile homes or individual homes.
Solar pumps: a clean technology
The solar water pumps are a cost-effective and reliable method for water supply in situations where water resources should extend long distances, the electricity supply is limited or unavailable, or where fuel and maintenance costs are considerable.
They can be surface solar pumps or even submersibles.
They are specifically designed to operate with direct current (DC) provided from solar panels and have been optimized to operate, if necessary, with low solar lighting.
Unlike conventional electric pumps with AC motor, solar pumps can operate in a wide range of voltage and current.
They move smaller volumes of water for a prolonged period, which demands much less energy and minimizes the size and cost of panels or photovoltaic generators.
What main uses does a solar pump have? Let’s mention some:
- Supply of drinking water for homes and cabins outside the home network.
- Water supply for livestock (it is the most widespread use of solar pumping systems).
- Aquaculture for aeration, circulation, and thawing.
- Small-scale irrigation
What essential components do we find in a water pump?
Understanding and knowing the components of a water pump will help us know how it is installed, its operation and to avoid accidents or dangers when working with them.
Among the components of a domestic water pump we find:
- Engine: fundamental component since it determines the power of the flow. It moves to the axis and gives impulse to generate movement to the liquid.
- Housing: coating of the water advance mechanism, usually made of stainless steel or cast iron to avoid rust and corrosion.
- Ducts: the inlet is the suction duct and the outlet is the duct. They are the channels through which water circulates.
- Control panel: a component that allows you to operate the water pump by means of switches or power and stop buttons.
- Starter rope: a rope that drives the combustion engine when pulled.
- Impeller or rotors: devices that drive the water contained in the housing, whether blades, rope tooth, or rotating vanes.
- Seals, seals, and rings: they generate an internal compression, allowing the correct sealing of the pump.
- Bearings: parts that support the impeller shaft.
What water pump do I need depending on the source of the water?
When choosing a water pump for home use, keep in mind the source/origin for water.
Now we will show you what classification you should keep in mind when buying a water pump.
For well: In the case of a well, the pump you need is submersible and you must know exactly the depth and diameter of the well to know the diameter of the pump you need.
In this way, you ensure a water extraction with optimal results.
And the other type of pump are those of surface that are classified into two types:
The suction pumps are those that are above the level of water to be pumped.
Loading pumps that are located at the same level of water or even lower, though, we are going to clarify that the surface pumps only have a suction of 9 meters. If this measure is greater, a submersible water pump will be needed.
The Price: The last factor to consider when buying a domestic water pump
The price of the water pump can be a primary point when buying but we always recommend purchasing the one that suits your needs and not so much in your pocket as it can often end up being more expensive.
It is necessary to make a small effort so that the investment is amortized soon obtaining excellent results that cover the needs of the home with the domestic water pump.
How do we know the importance of these factors, quality, price, effectiveness, specialization?
We have done an interesting study about the different water pumps that are currently in the market.
And on our website, you will find that comparison of products so that you can choose without looking from side to side.
We want to help you so we facilitate your research work.
We hope you find everything you need and you are satisfied with the studies carried out on our website.
The best water pumps for home use
Electric Water Transfer Pump designed to transfer water from tanks, pools, rain barrels, and groundwater; With a corrosion-resistant stainless steel head and Aluminum housing construction, the Meditool 1.6 HP 700 GPH well jet pump offers superior performance to 23 feet depth of water at 66 PSI. The compact and durable design allows you to carry around conveniently and ensures long time use. Featuring an energy-efficient motor with thermal overload protection, it also makes only little noise when operating. It’s ideal for the supply of fresh water to rural homes, farms, and cabins, and perfect for irrigation, such as watering flowers and washing a car and so on.
- Products Information:
- Material: Metal, Plastic
- Weight: 7.28KG, Power: 1200W/1.6HP
- Voltage/Frequency:115V/60Hz, Max pressure:66PSI
- Capacity: 3200L/H, Max Flow Rate: 845GPH
- Max.height:42m/137ft, Max suction level:7m/23ft
- Rope Length: 110cm/42.9inch
- 1″ inlet and outlet
- Max Liquid Temperature: 55 C or 130F
- Size: 12.9 x 7.8 x 9 inch(L x W x H))
- 1 x Water Pump
- 1 x User Manual
The max suction height is 7/23ft and it takes some time before automatic pumping. Adding some pilotage water to the head of the pump will help accelerate the flow rate of the inlet. The closer water inlet pipe and the pump is, the better the effect.
Impurities are not allowed in the water and it may cause a jam if the diameter is more than 1mm. There is a dewatering outlet designed for draining the left water in the machine if it will not be in use for a long term. Water Inlet and outlet need to be sealed up when you connect pipes.
- The body of this shallow well jet pump is made of cast iron and carbon/ceramic mechanical seals for durability. The motor uses a permanent magnet separation capacitor motor, full copper coil, powerful power, and thermal overload protection, which can automatically stop the pump when the card machine is overloaded, prevent burning and prolong the service life of the pump.
- In addition, this jet pump uses a stainless steel rotor, making the pump smoother and quieter during operation. The net cover is subjected to electrophoresis anti-rust treatment, and the heat dissipation is more uniform, further preventing the internal temperature from being too high so that the jet pump is more durable.
- This shallow well jet pump is designed for wells up to 25 feet deep and is suitable for high-floor domestic water, faucet and shower pressurization, extraction of groundwater and well water, irrigation of farmland and water supply and pressurization of water towers.
- Model: JSW-8M
- Voltage: 110 V / 60 Hz
- Power: 0.55 KW
- Horsepower: 3/4 HP
- Flow Rate: 16.7 GPM
- Max Head: 183.7 ft
- Suction and Discharge: 1 inch
- Speed: 3420 rpm
- Protection Class: IP44
- Cast iron pump head, mechanical hardness, anti-extrusion, anti-oxidation, longer service life.
- Stainless steel rotor, corrosion-resistant, oxidation resistant, smoother operation, reduced noise.
- Permanent split capacitor motor with high starting torque.
- Built-in thermal overload protection, so that the pump automatically stops when the card machine is overloaded to prevent burning.
- Adjustable pressure switch, which can adjust the pressure according to actual needs, and is more convenient to use.
- The shallow well jet pump is designed to supply fresh well water to residential homes, farms, cabins as well as agricultural structures and many others.
- The jet water pump is suitable for wells up to 25 feet deep.
Superior motor with one piece motor housing
At Superior Pump we build our own motors. This Superior motor is then inserted into a one piece motor housing which seals the motor from water and dissipates heat with greater efficiency. By building our own product, we ensure that every pump is built to last.
Electronically controlled split capacitor
A split capacitor is like having two gears. First gear, a boost for startup and then a second gear for efficient continuous operation. More power with less energy.
Solid Copper Windings
All Superior Pumps feature solid copper motor windings. 100% copper conducts electricity more efficiently, dissipates heat better and is the only way to make a pump that lasts.
Dual O-ring Motor Seals
We have one mission at Superior Pump. ..We Build Pumps, Built to Last! We didn’t reinvent the pump; we just made it more reliable. This is why we use dual O-ring motor seals in every pump. Dual O-rings ensure water stays out of the motor housing.
Superior Pumps: We review high quality pumps
Built to last
We have one mission, make pumps built to last. We didn’t reinvent the pump, we just made it stronger more reliable and most importantly, affordable. Each pump is built using a set of standard features. These features were designed to give better performance, better stability and more life. We have a combined 150 years of pump industry experience. We build every product using cutting edge innovative technology and high quality components.
- Removable intake screen for easy cleaning
- One-piece motor housing dissipates heat efficiently
- Split capacitor for efficient continuous operation
- Solid copper wiring for durability
- Dual seals prevent failure caused by water entering motor housing
- Heavy-duty stainless steel jacketed shaft
- Every pump UL listed
Seaflo 33 Series 115v General Purpose Water Pump
Ease Of Use
This pump features an electrical cord which can connect directly to any standard US outlet making installation easy and simple. Other 115v pumps require hard-wiring by the consumer.
Beats The Competition
The three-chamber high volume design is driven by a heavy-duty motor which produces flow rates of 3.3 GPM and 45 PSI. It is capable of self-priming up to 6 vertical feet and can run dry, making it a clear cost to performance leader.
- This pump is assembled in the USA to deliver dependable performance that lasts for years
- Removes waters down to 1/16 inch. that’s virtually dry
- Patent-pending design means more time pumping water and less time clearing debris
- Two 3/4 in. brass garden hose discharge adapters.
Water pumps are very useful items if we seek to transfer or transfer considerable quantities of liquids, they help us store or flow fluids with the pressure exerted by their engines.
It depends on the use we want to give, there are pressure, surfaces, bumpers or submersibles and there are clean and dirty waters to work. Nowadays they have become an interesting accessory for the domestic area, irrigation systems, well evacuation, emptying of pools and even in floods are very useful.