What are the best humidifiers for plants? In the world we are living today indoor plants growing has become a common practice.
People grow plants for their medicinal purposes, aesthetic value, and to improve the overall air quality. Whatever reason to grow, plants need necessary conditions to thrive.
One of the conditions that plants need is humidity. Humidifying plants calls for the best plant humidifier.
Plant humidifiers are devices designed to add water or moisture to the atmosphere. Adding this moisture to the air around a plant reduces the rate of evapotranspiration thus helping the plant to conserve moisture.
This is important particularly during the winter or dry climates when there is less moisture in the atmosphere.
In this guide, we will discuss some of the best plant humidifiers and some factors to consider before buying.
- 1 Types of humidifiers for plants
- 2 Why Should You Buy?
- 3 Buying Guide (What to consider/lookout for)
- 4 Best Humidifiers for Plants Reviews
- 5 Conclusion
Types of humidifiers for plants
There are three working mechanisms of humidifiers. This gives us three basic types of plant humidifiers – warm mist, ultrasonic, and evaporative humidifiers.
- Warm mist humidifiers are the most common in the market. They work through heating water to high temperatures to turn into vapor. This vapor is then released into the atmosphere thus raising the humidity levels of the surrounding.
- Ultrasonic humidifiers feature a unique mechanism consisting of a tank filled with water. They then use vibrations to increase the evaporation of the water in the tank thus boosting the humidity level of the air. These ultrasonic devices for humidifying plants are known for a fine mist.
- Evaporative humidifiers use airflow mechanisms to release moisture into the atmosphere. Their design features an evaporative cooler that draws water from the tank via a wicking material. Then a fan blows air over the wicking material thus releasing moisture into the atmosphere.
Why Should You Buy?
Although watering the plants is necessary, they still need to regulate the amount of water they lose to the atmosphere for healthy growth. The best plant humidifier may be the solution especially if you live in dry climate areas. This ensures your plants grow green, healthier, and attractive.
Humidity reduces infections in the house. It is known that most causal agents of diseases such as bacteria and viruses do not survive in humid areas. This means that your plant will grow healthy without diseases.
Low humidity discolor flow buds and make them fall off. This, therefore, means no plant reproduction will take place. To prevent this, humidity is necessary- it makes sure your plant buds grow into flowers and eventually into fruits.
Humidity eliminates leaves dryness and eventual tipping i.e. it makes plant leaves vibrant. This boosts the health of the plant since leaves can efficiently manufacture food for the whole plant.
Buying Guide (What to consider/lookout for)
There are several types and sizes of plant humidifiers out there, and each has its characteristics. If you do not choose the right one, you may end up providing too much or less humidity for your plants. Here, we have crafted some factors to consider before buying any plant humidifier.
Size of the room
The size of the area you want to humidify determines the size of the plant humidifier that you need. For example, for a small room less than 300 sq feet you need a small gadget. For a large room more than 500 sq feet, a large humidifier would be more efficient. Using the correct size of humifies ensures optimum humidity – not too low in a large area, neither too much in a small room.
Types of plant you want to grow
While most plants require humidity levels that are 60% and above, different plants require different humidity specifications. For example, desert plants require about 40% humidity levels. Also, different humidifiers provide different humidities. It’s upon you to get a regulatable humidifies depending on the plants you want to grow.
Water tank capacity
The tank capacity determines the coverage area and run time. The larger the tank the bigger the coverage and the higher the runtime. A 4 – 6-liter tank capacity humidifier should be enough for your indoor garden. However, remember it’s upon you to always fill the tank for better results.
Ease of set up, use, and maintenance
While most humidifiers are ready for use straight from the box, some require extra installation steps. Always check the ease of installation before buying any device. Again, humidifiers need regular cleaning to avoid bacterial build-up. You also require to change filters after a certain duration of time. Check for the lifespan of a filter before buying any humidifiers. Also ensure, its maintenance practices are easy and straightforward.
Always go for humidifiers with a humidistat that sets the exact level of required humidity. Some have settings such as low, medium, and high humidity, but it’s good to go for one with exact values- say 60%. Some other extra features to consider include programmable time, noise level setting, overflow protection, mist output control, and automatic off.
Best Humidifiers for Plants Reviews
There are a lot of companies out there that make plants humidifiers. Getting the correct one that suits your needs is a big challenge. According to our research and considering the above factor, we have reviewed three of the best humidifiers for plants.
There are a few reasons that make this one of the best plants humidifiers out there. One of the main reasons is that it uses ultrasonic mist technology which is quiet and efficient. The device humidifies the air for up to 16 hours of continuous use. The humidifies also feature high and low-speed settings as well as an adjustable mist direction setting to fit your comfort level. Its tank is 1.5 liter making it ideal for medium-sized rooms such as bedrooms and offices.
Other amazing features in this humidifier is the presence of an optional light glow that offers maximum relaxation when sleeping.
Also, the cool mist humidifier features an automatic shut-off when water levels are low. Additionally, you get a 5-year warranty, as proof of the durability of this gadget.
- Use ultrasonic cool mist technology making it quiet
- Moistures air for up to 16 hours on continuous operation
- With high and low-speed settings
- The direction of the mist is adjustable
- 1.5-liter water tank for medium-sized room coverage
- Optional night light
- Automatic shut-off
- Comes with ac adapter and disc cleaning brush
- Moisture direction is adjustable
- Cool gadget for home decor
- It is quiet
- Ideal for uninterrupted overnight use
- Safe and easy to use
- Comes with a five-year warranty
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Not suitable for humidifying a very large area
- May collect mildew if not used with distilled water
If you are looking for a reliable option to humidify a medium room, the Honeywell Humidifier is the real deal. Featuring evaporative technology, this gadget got a fan that blows air off a wicking material, thus humidifying the air while remaining silent. It comes with a 1-gallon tank that runs up to 24 hours on low settings making it ideal for bedrooms and offices. The device’s technology ensures there can never be over-humidifying, while still improving air circulation in the room.
What’s amazing about this humidifier is the presence of a filter that uses UV technology to kill 99.9 % of disease-causing pathogens. It also has a relative humidity and temperature monitor for convenient use. What’s more, it comes with a three-year warranty, meaning the device is quality and durable.
- Feature 1-gallon tank that runs 24 hours on the low setting.
- Uses evaporative technology which is quiet
- With Protec Clean Ball to keep your humidifier cleaner for longer
- Raise humidity level by 40% to 60% making it ideal for medium rooms
- Uses UV technology to kill 99.9 % of pathogens
- With a tank handle for easy carrying
- Easy to clean due to wide tank opening
- Easy to refill
- Warms the air in the room
- Allows for easy breathing thus comfortable sleep
- Prevents over-humidifying
- Prone to mold growth on the filters
- Does not have an automatic shut-off
The Vicks brand is known for its effectiveness in relieving breathing problems caused by allergies, asthma, and other illnesses. It can help you breathe, while still helping your plant grow healthy.
The humidifier uses ultrasonic technology and can go for up to 24 hours of continuous operation. It comes with a 1-gallon tank and filter-free technology making it ideal for homes.
Again, it features a Protec Humidifier Cleaning Ball with patented antimicrobial properties that kill 99% of pathogens. Additionally, it comes with a large display that monitors the temperature and the humidity of the room.
- Translucent 1-gallon tanks than run for up to 24 hours
- Uses ultrasonic technology which is quiet and helps relieve breathing system problems
- Features Protec Humidifier Cleaning Ball with antimicrobial properties
- Maintains humidity levels of 40 -60%
- Auto-shutoff when empty
- Filter free operation
- Two output setting for ideal comfort
- Comes with a medicine cup for use with liquid inhalants
- Kills bacterial
- Relieves breathing problem
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Easy to refill and carry
- Comes with a 3-year warranty
- It is very quiet
- Its night light function cannot be turned off
- Needs weekly cleaning to prevent minerals build-up
To make your humidifier durable, it needs regular maintenance. These maintenance practices include cleaning and changing of filters to prevent mineral and pathogen build-up. Also, avoid placing the gadget too close to a plant to prevent drought which might lead to plant withering.